Thursday, February 22, 2007

CHAPTER 11 BLOG: NEXT STEPS TO RESEARCH

INSPIRATIONS:

Source: “How People Learn”, Bransford, etc. al, 2000, pp. -248-284

Research has been irrelevant to the teachers...

"The concern of researchers for the validity and robustness of their work, as well as their focus on underlying constructs that explain learning, often differ from the focus of educators on the applicability of those constructs in real classroom settings with many students, restricted time, and a variety of demands." (p.248)

"The language used by researchers is very different from that familiar to teachers. And the full schedules of many teachers leave them with little time to identify and read relevant research." (p. 249)

"Without clear communication of a research-based theory of learning and teaching, the operational theories held by the various stakeholders are not aligned. Teachers, administrators, and parents frequently encounter conflicting ideas about the nature of learning and its implications for effective teaching". (p.249)

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

  1. Research outputs should be translated into USABLE information by educators and policy makers.
  2. Research key ideas should be effectively communicated to teachers, administrators, and policy makers.
  3. Research should identify with the help of teachers, administrators, and policy makers which strategies are in alignment to the accepted principles of learning.
  4. Educators should be partnered with researchers in undertaking these research projects.
  5. Research efforts must begin in observing the learning process that takes place in the classroom.


THINKING OUT LOUD

"Talk the walk, walk the talk."

It is very encouraging to know that there are individuals who devote their time for research and the development of human learning. Their efforts yield continuing output that give updates improve teaching. Yet, truly, it is overwhelming to study all these outputs and to translate them in the classroom experience.

As a teacher, I can really make a litany of acceptable excuses on why I cannot relate to the researchers’ findings and proposals but I know these cannot be helpful for me and for my students towards achieving successful learning. Hence, it is better to be proactive than just complain. Here is then my plan of action.

I need to read more about the current studies on learning and teaching. I can subscribe to appropriate journals that are research based. I can subscribe to online access that contains current educational research. I can focus on studies that concerns with effective teaching in Math and Science. I need to translate the important concepts into practical applications in my classroom experience.

I must participate to in-service trainings that are given in my school. These are positive activities that promotes teacher learning. I need to always be opened minded to change. I should be flexible and be ready to adapt any valuable teaching strategy.

I need to be objective and be observant on the good examples of my co-teachers. Their effective teaching strategies might be suited better in my own classroom needs than any research. I should learn from those teachers who are tasked to share their classroom successes.

Dr. Harry Wong, a well-known speaker and a well-respected teacher gives the following suggestion:

“Here are some habits you can choose to develop:

  1. Choose to invest in yourself so that you can increase your value to others.
  2. Choose to learn and grow as a professional.
  3. Choose to avoid thoughts and people who will limit you.
  4. Choose to stop surviving and existing and start taking small risks to create incremental growth.
  5. Choose to identify what you want to do with your life and choose to DO IT. “Source: http://teachers.net/wong/APR05/

I firmly believe that I have an important role in achieving successful learning through effective teaching. The researchers’ work will see their fruition through my commitment as a teacher with pro-active action.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Being open-minded is very important. It really bugs me when teachers don't want to change their teaching strategies at all! Students change every year, and even more over decades. Students need up-to-date learning techniques to make education more meaningful and fun! I do not like it when students think school is boring...because it's not. It depends on the teacher to spice things up to make it fun for both the student and the teacher! Boy, I hope I still feel this way 25 years from now, for the sake of my future students!

1:05 PM  
Blogger M-ages said...

What a great way to conclude your post. I find your blog very inspirational and true. We should all stop complaining if there is not fix but to fix ourselves, whether we need to or not. The solution is to be proactive and find success the way we, ourselves measure success.

To add a book to your great visuals, I would like to interest you in a book entitled: The 10 habits of highly Effective People. This book was a requirement for a business course I took but the concepts rang loud and clear. My favorite tip was:

Synergy! The sum of its parts is greater than the whole.

Hope this phrase will intrigue your interest!

12:49 PM  
Blogger BenBarton said...

Harry Won! :) I remember him. It sounds like you got more out of watching him than I did. I was suffering from a bad attitude that day due to having to sit there and watch him when I felt there was so much more important things for me to be doing... hehe.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Pamela said...

I have always enjoyed reading your posts. At the end of the day, when I recap the countless meaningless meetings that do not result in any resolutions, the phone calls that were meant for someone else, but became my problem when I answered the phone on the 30th ring, and having to drag a student to the administrative office for hiding out in the bathroom, I have to say that reading these posts reminds me why I do it. I too strive to be as proactive as I can be. I do the best I can to stay positive throughout the day and pass the vibe to others. But, what do you do when your optimism is constantly squashed? I go back to the drawing board and racap what happened in the day and edit my day with other possible actions that could have made a more favorable outcome. This is not an easy task when you are constantly being run over by skepticism, but I manage to get through it, day after day. After all, my goal is clear, teaching must be a progression of learning both on my part as well as on the part of my students.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Thomas Petra said...

One difficulty with research is that it needs to meet criteria to be scientific or valid. Qualitative research can be useful but we want to have the numbers that quantitative research gives. The sample seems to project to the population easier with numbers. While doing research for my research proposal I found many authors debating the same topic and even at times the same author would have a dozen of research examples; but no one could pin it down. I'm not sure humans/education relate to research as well as say something in nature.

2:56 AM  
Blogger Mariesha's ED630 Blog said...

I always learn from other teachers' experiences with students or lessons. Whether or not their experiences are good, I learn from all of them.

If it weren't for researchers, we wouldn't have anything to write or read about. I admire them and thank them for their dedication to research.

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home