Saturday, February 17, 2007

CHAPTER 8 BLOG: TEACHER TRAINING

INSPIRATIONS:

Source: “How People Learn”, Bransford, et. al, 2000, pp. 190-205

“Practicing teachers continue to learn about teaching in many ways: first, from their own practice; second, from their interactions with other teachers; third, from teacher educators in their schools; fourth, from graduate school programs; and finally, from other experiences such as parenting and coaching.”

“Teachers take graduate courses in education rather than in the subject matter of their teaching because of the lack of disciplinary graduate courses that are offered after school hours or during the summer.” (p. 192)

“Learning involves making oneself vulnerable and taking risks – this is not how teachers often see their role.” (p. 195)

“New teacher are often given the most challenging assignments – more students with special educational needs, the greatest number of class preparations (some outside of their field of expertise), and many extracurricular duties – and they are usually asked to take on these responsibilities with little or no support from administrators or senior colleagues.” (p.203)


THINKING OUT LOUD

“Bloom anywhere you are planted!”

This is what I was constantly told when I was studying “Teaching 101” in college. It made a great impact in my perspective to life and to my profession (or vocation) as a teacher. It is a powerful admonition about persistence, optimism, adaptability, creativity, and achieving goals.

IN MY LIFE: The meaning and purpose about my existence is actually rests on GIVING. There are so many examples to affirm this: like, Jesus, Mary, Mother Teresa of Calcutta, Don Bosco, Fr. Chito Dajao, and my parents. If I can share my talent, my time, my knowledge and thus, make a difference in other’s lives, I have found the answer of why I am here for.

IN MY PROFESSION: I believe that I can be a good teacher when I can GIVE (and give till it hurts). I share my talent, my time and my knowledge to make my students be the best that they can be. However, I must remember that I cannot GIVE what I DO NOT HAVE. Hence, as giving is my life’s value, I need to ensure that I possess what effective learning needs. I am accountable to myself and to my students with what I become as a teacher. If I am committed to this profession, I have to spur myself into positive action towards personal and professional enrichment without waiting for exterior pressure or incentive.

“Bloom anywhere to where I am planted!” gives my life true meaning and strengthens my commitment to my teaching profession. I value my co-teachers. I learn from the wisdom of my senior colleagues. I will rejuvenate myself from the enthusiasm of the new teachers. I will gladly participate in in-service trainings. I will attend seminars and conferences that highlight effective strategies in teaching. I will finish my post-graduate studies. I will continue to establish goals for future enrichment studies. I will be pro-active with myself and not whine and wait. I will seek positive solutions to any challenges that I will experience.

Teacher training is a commitment and a journey. As education is a lifelong mission, I am aware that this is a task thats needs a daily affirmation of my belief in I grow, I give, I bloom!

2 Comments:

Blogger M-ages said...

Wow, very inspirational! Your blog has definately hit a note with me. At times we all need to reflect on our goals and remind ourselves of why we choose this profession. We all have a purpose and it is up to us to fulfill that.

In the beginning of your statements, you commented on how the "new teachers" are given a bit more than the usual day to day operations. I guess you can call it our "initiation" into teaching. I've gone through it and I'm sure others after me will follow. We all pay the price for the decisions we make, whether we agree to it or not. Does it make it right? Maybe not. But I will tell you one thing: It has definately made me a stronger individual/teacher because if I could survive that...I probably could survive anything else you were to through my way.

My first year of teaching "General Math" - 20 IEP students in one class, behavioral problems with students who tested me for being new, teachers sending me their behavioral problem students to help themselves out, and much much more. I took it with a smile, may have venting to my family for a bit, and finished off the school year knowing more about how I'll handle the next year. Like I said, it may not be fair - but your the only one to decide the outcome. For me, I decided I am much more stronger and wiser for the years to come.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I feel that I give so much of myself to my school, and I am happy to do it, that I don't know when I should say no. I know for a fact I can't say yes to everything, for being a full time teacher and student can be overwhelming. Being only a 2nd year teacher, I do feel that a lot of leadership roles are thrown my way because as the experienced teachers say at my school, it is "my turn." Is that even fair? I believe that all the teachers should be involved in school activities, even though it is not in their teacher contract, because it makes the students have more of a memorable time in school. The responsibilities should not all be dumped on the new teacher.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home