Wednesday, February 14, 2007

CHAPTER 6 BLOG: THE DESIGN OF LEARNING ENVIRONMENTS

INSPIRATIONS:

Source: “How People Learn”, Bransford, et. al, 2000, pp. 131-154

“Different kinds of learning goals require different approaches to instruction.”

“New goals for education require changes in opportunities to learn.”

LEARNER-CENTERED environment (Diagnostic Teaching) refers to that pay careful attention to the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and beliefs that learners bring to the educational setting – culturally responsive, culturally compatible, and culturally relevant.”

- respect cultural practices on classroom learning and their impact to classroom learning

- respect the language practices of students

-awareness of learners constructing their own meanings – from pre-existing knowledge


“KNOWLEDGE-CENTERED environment helps students become knowledgeable by learning in ways that lead to understanding and subsequent transfer.”

- help students become metacognitive by expecting new information to make sense and asking for clarification when it doesn’t

“ASSESSMENT-CENTERED environment provide opportunities for feedback and revision and that what is assessed must be congruent with one’s learning goals.”

- feedback is most valuable when students have the opportunity to use it to revise their thinking as they are working on a unit or project

“COMMUNITY-CENTERED environment acknowledges people learning from one another and continually attempting to improve and leads students, teachers, and administrators to feel connected to the larger community of homes, businesses, states, the nation, and even the world.”

- the key to learning is the family

- entertainment programs (television, etc.) can educate in positive ways and learned information can be extended through adult guidance and commentary.

- learning can improve principal and teachers work together to define a common vision for their entire school

THINKING OUT LOUD

To be an effective teacher today, one has to be a FRIEND, an EDUCATOR, a CRITIC, and a MENTOR.

FRIEND. This may sound risky for some but a healthy relationship with each student is a must in effective teaching. I need to know my students. It is truly easier to teach them if I know what interests them. I can use these to hold their attention. Knowing their language, I can explain concepts in ways that they can understand. I can extend their learning to meaningful applications into their daily experience. I can anticipate whatever reactions they have for the subject.

In one of my oddest experience in the classroom, I was insensitive of the feelings of one of my students with regards to rabbits. In the first month of this school year, I told the story about how I unknowingly ate rabbit meat. I was still halfway my story when one of my students was crying profusely. Later, I realized that this student have a great love of rabbits.

I converted one of my students to do a science fair project from his persistence in testing BB guns to investigating the best pedaling position when riding a BMX. I really had a struggle of shutting off this student. Until one day, I got a hint from one of our past conversations of this student’s passion for BMX and used this as a next option. I was so relieved that this student painlessly let go the hazardous project.

EDUCATOR. At the end of the day, students should show that they learned. This is the ultimate goal of a teacher. There is no other joy deeper than seeing your student know how to add fractions, learn the first minuet, perform the first drum recital, strum their first song, make a goal from an unselfish team play, and graduate college.

My business as a teacher is student achievement. My profession is solely focused on making my students to be the best they will be. I could use any strategy, any theory, any policy, or any technique. Yet, as all these are just means, the goal is to let these learners find their purpose in life.

I am so lucky to have inspired an excellent student in her choice of career. I was so surprised that this student is pursuing Actuarial Science – a career that I suggested when she was still a freshman in high school. She was sincerely grateful.

CRITIC. The hardest job of a teacher is to show their students their mistakes. This is a very delicate job which needs subtle ways to do as not to destroy a student’s self esteem. Students are like sculpted objects. They are stripped off from unwanted parts in order to show their best.

I corrected students’ wayward behaviors often passionately. Sometimes, I see tears, pouting lips, heavy face, and all the drama. However, ironically, I received more visits and calls from students that I had so many feedback moments. They were thankful for being constructively criticized. They attributed their success from this “sculpting” process.

MENTOR. Teachers guide their students to connect and apply their learning outside the classroom environment. This is a true test on the effectiveness of the goals of teaching. Successful learning is measured on how students are able to make a difference in others, in their community, and in the world.

I would always get a funny reaction when I try to project my students’ bad learning habits into their future. They are thinking of a situation that might happen to them if they will not change. They are made aware that there is a connection of their current decisions and habits to their future. Their future begins today. What they will be is measured what they are today.

1 Comments:

Blogger asse said...

How can you be friend with a student when you have all theses suspicions on your head.Because of that fear of being accuse of something strange I'm constantly on my guard with teenagers.I agree with you that it is easy to teach someone when you know the person's aspirations.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home