Thursday, February 15, 2007

CHAPTER 7 BLOG: EFFECTIVE TEACHING

INSPIRATIONS:

Source: “How People Learn”, Bransford, et. al, 2000, pp. 155-189

An effective teacher is one who:

  1. have a firm understanding of their respective disciplines
  2. have knowledge of the conceptual barriers that students face in learning
  3. have knowledge of effective strategies for working with students
  4. provide cognitive roadmap to guide their assignments to students, to gauge student questions
  5. focus on understanding rather than memorization and routine procedures to follow
  6. engage students in activities that help students reflect on their own learning and understanding
  7. sees their work as lifelong and continuing struggle to understand and improve.

THINKING OUT LOUD

Whatever subject it may be (history, mathematics, and science), an effective teacher is one who makes difference in the learner’s life.

Reading this chapter, I remembered so many of my past teachers. There were only a few among them that I seemed to acknowledge as had given a great impact in my life.

My greatest teacher was Fr. Firmochito Dajao - a Salesian Priest, a true friend and mentor. He was my Religion teacher in high school. He was a terrific basketball player and a great painter. I remember that I had poor grades in his class because I was not up to par in his standard for critical thinking. I recalled that his test and discussions were not into memorization. He asked us most of the time how we understand and how we can apply the concepts in our experience. It was all too new to me. I never had been asked by a teacher regarding my opinion and personal understanding. He told us often to reflect and meditate. The most memorable thing he did to our class was when he brought us into the slums and see for ourselves what are hardship, poverty, and moral decay.

Fr. Chito, as we fondly call him, had died in 2001, the year after he presided over my marriage. He taught me the important things in life – relationship, dignity, sacrifice, commitment, personal enrichment, and care for the poor and under privileged. He challenged me to face my fears and to become the best I can be. Whenever I visit my hometown, I always visit his grave and thank him for all the things he had taught me. I missed the day when he died because I was here in Guam already. But I never would forget him for he is always that force which drives me today to strive to be a good and effective teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home