Wednesday, January 24, 2007

CHAPTER 1: LEARNING - FROM SPECULATION TO SCIENCE, pp. 1-27

BLOG #1

INSPIRATIONS

In the past, education – the system of learning – was all about acquisition of literacy skills (simple reading, writing, calculating). However, these are not sufficient enough to prepare individuals to meet the demands in all aspects of real life: personal and professional relationships, social and political obligations, and national and global involvement. Learners should acquire higher level of literacy which involve in being able to think and read critically, to express clearly and persuasively, to solve complex problems. Their knowledge acquisition skill is not solely on remembering and repeating information but one that is able to search information and to positively use it. (Bransford et al, pp. 3-5)


THINKING OUT LOUD

This higher level of literacy is a matter of fact, a matter of need, and a matter of crucial importance to those who sought to make today’s education and relevant.

As a matter of fact. Today’s educational system needs a serious over-haul. Despite the amazing modern improvements such as concrete buildings, air-conditioned classrooms, modern photocopiers, multimedia projectors, computers, and many more, schools have not yet moved beyond the traditional boundaries where teachers are the boss, the voice, and the end-all.

In its article, “How to Bring Our Schools Out of the 20th Century”,Times Magazine confirmed this reality. The educational system is still operating like the 1906 of old. If Rip Van Winkle has to come back alive, he would likely recognize today’s classroom as like in his own time. This teacher oriented strategy is losing its relevance in today’s demanding society. The “old-way” of teacher monologue is over. The one-way and non-interactive lecture has no place in good teaching. As modern research tools unlock the mysteries of the human mind, there are a lot of effective strategies and approaches designed to successful learning.

I admit that there were times that my teaching had been a “monologue”. In retrospect, I would attribute this to fear of taking risk to place upon the students the leverage to discover and to understand the content themselves. I fear that they might just eat up a lot of time in discussion. I fear that they will wander away from the topic. I fear of losing the control of the class. But know I realize that these fears can simply be addressed through good lesson planning and good class management. For when students clearly understand what they are doing and what they need to attain, a student oriented activity is very effective.

As a matter of need. The preface to this Times Magazine article though presented with wit and humor is, however, a stark and sarcastic criticism towards the slow development of the educational system vis-à-vis the reality and demands of the modern living. This article has its ally in the book, “How People Learn”. Reading through Chapter 1, it emphasizes the need to change and immediate call to action. The modern educator has to adapt to the modern learner whose life experience is as complex and dynamic as the technological advances.

“Teachers need not fear that they will be made obsolete. They will, however, feel increasing pressure to bring their methods – along with the curriculum – into line with the way the world works. That means putting a greater emphasis on teaching kids to collaborate and solve problems in small groups and apply what they’ve learned in the real world. Besides, research shows that kids learn better that way than with the old chalk-and-talk approach.” (Times, Dec 18, 2006, p. 56)

In my class, students are technology-savvy. Their pre-existing knowledge of computers is admirable. I let them use the Palm Handheld computers in various applications (Math and Spelling practice, word processing). I let them design their Science Fair projects using their computers from simple word displays to data and chart presentations. I use video streaming to show video clips from websites in order to complement my lessons. I utilize the Power Point to engage students in lectures.

As a matter of crucial importance. The future of the world is at stake. The world is affected by every decision we make. This decision making in whatever manner depends on how we understand our environment and the information presented to us. As teachers, we have the obligation to train our learners to acquire the appropriate skills. Hence, teachers must continually reinvent themselves to adapt to the needs of the times.

However, teachers need to be supported. The government should provide funding necessary to keep teachers updated and upgraded. Each school administrators must encourage their teachers to take professional enrichment courses and supply them with the needed materials.

The success of learning is everybody’s business!

One thing that I am proud of my school is that it financially supports Professional Development. I am encouraged to make the best of the opportunity I have. I am committed to reflect the things that I learn in my teaching.

I admire the Yamashita Teachers’ Corps Program. It supports teachers to pursue their desire to get the necessary classes that will make them effective teachers. This program truly has contributed positively to Guam’s educational system.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with your blog in regards to teachers need to be supported. I was a special edcuation teacher at John F. Kennedy High School for two years and I did not have any adminstrative support. Even though I loved teaching, I could not stand the struggle I had to go through just to get books and other supplies for my students. This was the main reason why a resigned and moved to the University of Guam. If our government does not show support for their educators on Guam, then teachers will eventually relocate or just find something else to do. And this will add on to our shortage of certified teachers.

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Norman, you just couldn't wait to get back on the blogs again-could you? Your blog posting is admirable. It has everything in it: graphics, relevant links, quotes, fear, passion, conflict, and hope. I wish I had some popcorn.

I have read the Time article you mentioned but found it too spotty. I want to look for the report by the New Commission on the Skills of the American Workforce: Tough Choices or Tough Times. I wonder if our bookstores on island would carry it? I am curious on what their recommendations are and how or if they will be carried out. I've seen a number of teaching fads come and go but this time I feel as though we are on the cusp of a renaissance-era in education. Already you are putting a lot of this new thinking into practice. (Do you have your own LCD-projector?) Hopefully we will see a system-wide change in our lifetime.
Guam is going to have to work hard to keep up with the times. When I taught in Milwaukee one year, my school had a partnership with a company that made heart monitoring machines. We were able to show students on-site what it was like to work in a high-tech occupation and we worked with some of the employees on projects. These kind of partnerships can have a profound effect on the motivation of some students.

2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home